Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Goal

Hello, whoever may be reading this! I'm Jake and I will be folding 1,000 paper cranes by the end of the year. I know what you're thinking, "This is dumb" or "Why in the world would you want to do that?" Well, all I can tell you is that it's not. In fifth grade, my class read a story about a little girl named Sadako who was diagnosed with leukemia after the atomic bombs were dropped on Japan. She spent her entire time in the hospital folding paper cranes because the old legend has it that when you fold 1,000 of these babies, you get one wish. In the story my class read, Sadako died before that could happen, but the real-life Sadako actually did fold all 1,000 paper cranes and more! Her wish, being the amazing person she was, was for world peace.

I'm going to fold 1,000 paper cranes myself in an attempt to test my own patience, perseverance and dexterity (my hands already ache at the prospect). Let's do the math though! If I have to fold 1,000 paper cranes by December 31st which is 182 days away, then I will need to fold 5 or 6 a day. I'm not the best at making these cranes, so that will be hard. It takes me about 10 minutes to fold one crane (poorly, I might add), so 1 hour everyday. I will take pictures of the cranes everyday to show just how many there really are, and so you guys know I'm not kidding about doing this. I'm really excited for this adventure and I hope you all will join me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment